Yorktown Athletic Club Standing Rules
High School Basketball Division
PLEASE HELP KEEP THE GYM CLEAN.
Coaches please remind players to take what they bring (drink bottles, clothes, etc.).
High School Division
1. The game is comprised of 4 quarters with each quarter lasting for 10 minutes of running time. Each quarter will be broken up into two 5-minute segments. The clock will only stop during the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.
2. A team must have at least 4 roster players to start a game (a forfeit is declared if there are not).
3. Substitutions can only be made at the start of each 5-minute segment. Players must play the entire 5-minute segment before leaving the game for a substitution. Exceptions are for an injury or for a player who has fouled out.
4. The timekeeper (a parent) will signal the referee as close to the 5 minute mark as possible without interfering with the flow of the game. A whistle or a change of possession after a rebound is a good time to stop the clock. A fast break or when the offensive team has control of the ball is not a good time to stop the clock.
5. At the end of each segment, a time out is not in effect. Subs must come in quickly and play resumes right away.
6. There is a 1-minute break after the 1st and 3rd quarters and a 2-minute break at halftime.
7. Each player present must play a specified number of game segments. Segment playing time rules must be followed. The Segment Play Chart will detail how many segments each player will play based on the number of players present at the game. If a coach is found in violation of the Segment Play Chart, the game will be forfeited and the offending coach will be suspended one game. If a second violation occurs during the season (including playoffs), the game will be forfeited, the offending coach will be removed from the league and the team will be eliminated from the post-season playoffs.
8. Segment playing time sheets must be written down and available for inspection by opposing coaches.
9. Players must play in each half.
10. Players who have received 5 personal fouls will be out of the game and cannot be reinserted into the game.
11. If a player fouls out (5 personal fouls), is ejected or injured, his remaining time must be spread out starting with players who were getting fewer segments from the start of the game. If the player who has fouled out has more than one segment remaining to play, he must be replaced by a different player in each segment. When there is a substitution due to an injury or a player fouling out, the segment will be assigned to the player that played the majority of the time during that specific 5 minute segment. One player cannot be used for multiple substitutions in one game.
12. In an overtime game, coaches may place anyone on the court that they wish. However, if the game goes into double overtime, any players on the bench, who have not fouled out, must go into the game.
13. If a player arrives late for a game (after the 2nd segment has started), it is only necessary for him to play in 2 segments in the 2nd half. However, he may play more if the coach sees fit to do so.
14. Each team will have 2 timeouts per half with no carryover from half to half or into overtime periods.
15. Overtime will be 2 minutes. The clock will stop on each whistle. One additional timeout will be given to each team in each overtime.
16. One and one fouls shots will occur on the 7th team foul in a half. Two foul shots will be awarded after 10 team fouls in a half.
17. If there is an altercation on the court during a game, any player(s) that leave the bench will be suspended for the next game. Those players involved in the altercation will be dealt suspensions, at a minimum, for the next game and beyond if the situation warrants, at the discretion of the commissioner. Any player that is ejected from a game is automatically suspended for the next game. If ejected from a 2nd game, the suspension will be for the next 2 games and so on after that.
18. Players trying out for the YHS Varsity Basketball Team wishing to play in the YAC Inhouse High School Division should register online. If the player makes the YHS Varsity Basketball Team and decides NOT to play in the YAC Inhouse High School League, the player must request a refund through the YAC website no later than November 15, 2021.
19. If a YHS Varsity Basketball player chooses to remain on a YAC Inhouse High School Division team after November 15, 2021, the player will be eligible to play during the Inhouse regular season and playoffs. At this point, no refunds will be issued even if the player does not play in any games.
20. Please respect the refs. This goes for players & coaches.
Remember this is only a game. HAVE FUN.