Yorktown Athletic Club
Practice Good Sportsmanship Policy
“Youth Sports should be fun for players, coaches and parents”
The YAC recognizes that youth sports are competitive by nature, and has pledged to create a positive learning experience where our children can learn the importance of teamwork and good sportsmanship while at the same time learn to play and respect the game. The YAC also recognizes that our parents and coaches have a major responsibility to be a good role model for their children and other children in our sport programs and expects them to teach and encourage these same positive behaviors.
With this in mind, the Practice Good Sportsmanship Policy will be used by our coaches to help our players understand that they have a responsibility to control their behavior while participating in any YAC sponsored activity. Prior to the start of each season, all YAC coaches will discuss the YAC Practice Good Sportsmanship Policy outlined below, and all players must sign the agreement.
Practice Good Sportsmanship Policy
I will Respect my Coaches
· I understand that my coaches are volunteers and I will show them respect at all times. I pledge that I will try and learn as much as I can from my coaches and will listen to what the coaches are saying. I will not interrupt them while they are talking, and I will not distract my teammates while the coach is talking.
I will Practice Good Sportsmanship at All Times
· I understand that I am responsible for maintaining my own self-control at all times. I will not use obscene language or gestures, and I will not intentionally touch or hit (with force), another teammate, opposing player, official, parent or coach in frustration, anger or retaliation.
· I will not yell at, taunt, threaten, or argue with opposing players, coaches, parents or referees in public or private, and either before, during, or after a game or practice.
· Winning is not everything, it’s how you play the game. I will not place blame or negatively judge my teammates or my coaches based on the whether or not my team won or lost a game.
· Regardless if my team has won or lost, I will shake hands with opposing players and coaches following a game, and I will not make negative comments while doing so.
I will always Give my Best Effort – I understand that each player on my team is important and that I will give my best effort at all times. I will also make it my goal to learn to play confidently at all times.
I will be a Team Player First - I will strive to be a "team player" first, and will practice good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for my teammates, coaches, and officials at every game or practice.
I will Learn the Rules of the Game– I will show respect for the game, and will make the effort to learn and play by the rules of the game at all times.
I will Practice what I am Taught - I will make the effort to practice what the coaches have taught me during a practice or game, and I will ask my coaches questions if I don’t understand what they are teaching me.
I will Be Ready to Play – I will arrive to the field or facility on time, fully equipped and ready to play.
I promise – to have fun while participating in any sport that I participate in and will not lose my perspective that - I am here to have fun, to learn how to play the sport, and to do the best that I can.
I have read and understand the Practice Good Sportsmanship Policy, and I pledge to do my best to practice good sportsmanship at all times.
Click here to download the YAC Sportsmanship Policy Form